This post is an excerpt taking from my eBook titled “How to become a model” which is for sale.
HOW TO BECOME A MODEL
WRITTEN AND READ BY ELEGUSHI OLUWASEUN
THIS BOOK IS FOR TUTORIAL PURPOSE COMPRISING OF 3 CLASSES, IT’S ABOUT HELPING OTHERS UNDERSTAND HOW TO BECOME MODELS AND DOING IT THE RIGHT WAY.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
ELEGUSHI OLUWASEUN IS A PHOTOGRAPHY/COMMERCIAL MODEL WHO HAS 2 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE BEING A MODEL, ALSO HAS HIS OWN SCHOOL OF MODELING CALLED “EOA MODELING ACADEMY” WITH THE HOPE OF HELP PASSIONATE INDIVIDUALS ACHIEVE THEIR DREAMS IN THE WORLD OF FASHION.
EOA MODELING ONLINE TRAINING
What is modeling?
A lot of people have misconceptions about what modeling entails, some believe its all about taking of pictures while others believe is all about beauty some even believe its about the height of people that determines if one can be a model, well let me just say this that all their definitions are wrong.
Modeling is an art and a act, its the art of advertising brands through what we have( our bodies: physiological and psychological), its the ability of selling brands to people through our assets (our bodies), its a business, a job, a career, a lifestyle.
Notice the key words in the definition modeling :
•Assets (our bodies: phisology and psychology)
Also take note of this sentences
-Modeling is an art
-Modeling is an act
-Modeling is a lifestyle
Now for explanation
- Modeling is an art- if you understand art then you should understand that modeling is a form of art itself, just like “fine arts” “creative designs” and so on, modeling involves creativity, just as you imagine Picasso the artist and his work of arts, just also imagine you a model and your modeling works as works of art.
- Modeling is an act- similar to actors in Nollywood, Hollywood and Bollywood who act various roles in which is against their personalities in real life, acting to love playing video games whereas you don’t like video games, same also for modeling, a model can be asked to put on a cloth he/she doesn’t like on a runway or for a magazine shoot, but will still wear it and rock with confidence convincing the general public that he/she loves what she is wearing whereas the model doesn’t.
- Modeling is a lifestyle- yes being a model is more than an occupation, career, hobby, it’s a lifestyle because as a model you must have confidence, creativity, and your daily activities, your walking steps and interaction to people around you must portray the fact that you are a model, even if some people may not know what modeling is but they will know that their is something different about you anytime they interact with you or notice you from afar.
-Assets- the assets of a model is his/her body and also their mental capabilities, their intellect (physiological and psychological make up)
• Phisological- it means the physical appearance of a model, his skin tone, skin colour, skin type, cheek bones, facial structure, eye colour, hair colour, body size, height
• Psychological- this is the mental processes of a model, how a model can deliver, give brands what they want because brands needs models to talk, give your own insights to shoots, and yes there are cases that you have to keep quiet but also there are cases you have to talk.
Hopefully this read has made you to understand what modeling is and when you begin to live the life of a model, you then tend to see a meaning to the world of modeling from your own point of view but this one you just read is the governing principle of what modeling entails. Now to the next topic Types of Modeling
TYPES OF MODELING
you must have heard that “for you to become a model you must be tall” this is wrong, there are different types of modeling with different type of requirements, so if you are not tall like Victoria secret models, or a 6’0 feet tall male model, no need to worry, you can still become a model, here are different types of modeling:
- Runway modeling
- Photography modeling
- Commercial modeling
- Face modeling
- Hand modeling
- Plus size modeling
- Body art modeling
- Nude modeling
- Fitness modeling
This type of modeling is called High Fashion Modeling and models under this type of modeling are called Runway models or Fashion models. Runway modeling involves a runway where models walk on it, dressed up in different wears from fashion designers, examples of runway modeling – Victoria Secret Fashion show, NewYork Fashion Week, Lagos Fashion Week, Africa Fashion and Exhibition Week, London Fashion Week and so on. This type of modeling is the most popular one as it’s the one we mostly watch on TV shows seeing models walk on the runway. It’s runway modeling which requires height as a criteria, femal models must be 5 feet 8 inches tall at least while male models must be 5 feet 11 inches tall at least while in some cases and depending on the countries male models must be 6 feet tall and above while female models must be 5 feet 11 inches tall and above, you might be asking why female’s height are lower than male’s own, its because of the invention of heels to make females look taller than their original height looking up to 6 feet, while for the male models, no invention of shoes have been made to make them look taller and if there is, male models are asked to remove their shoes to get their original height. So runway modeling is the type of modeling that requires height and not every model is a runway model.
This is the type of modeling that has to do which just taking of photoshoots, heights are not required in this type of modeling, what is required is your creativity on how you take your shoots depending on what the shoots are all about, the photoshoots gotten from this can be used for print modeling, editorial modeling, magazine covers.
This type of modeling does not require height, its not age restricted, in fact anybody of different skin colours can be used depending on the brand the model is working with. Commercial modeling is the process where by models advertise brands through medias, social medias, Televisions etc, to further explain the concept of commercial modeling, do you remember advertisements of products like Coca Cola on posters, Instagram, of a good looking guy or girl smiling or posing with a Coca Cola bottle? Or a TV advert of Coca Cola seeing a guy walk into the store to order for a beverage drink, well since you remember that is what is called commercial modeling, I Elegushi Oluwaseun Adeniyi, I am a commercial/photography model, and I have modelled for a cake brand, fashion designers and so on, yeah you must be wondering modeling for a cake brand? Well yes one of the benefits of commercial modeling is that you can model for any brand, without height requirements, so you can see that if you are not tall enough there is a type of modeling for you.
This type of modeling is mostly done by girls with beautiful facial structures, don’t get it wrong, modeling is beyond beauty. Face modeling is when the face of a model is mostly used instead of her body due to the beauty the face brings out,and they are mostly used by make up artists, beauty products etc
This type of modeling involves the use of model’s hands for advertisement of products such as wristwatch advert, wristband adverts, hand cleanser products adverts etc. It makes use of the hands alone and not the faces, so models who do hand modeling can use their face to advertise other brands as no one will really know whose hand it is. The skin tone and colour acts as a criteria for the type of hand modeling job one will get.
This type of modeling involves beauty, height requirements are of little or no effects in type of modeling as any body of different heights are allowed to participate, for in this type of modeling it involves competition, where various models come together to compete for a crown for example: Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria, Miss World, Mr Nigeria, Miss America and so on, in this type of modeling beauty is involved and physical appearance which means sexually attractive and intellectual, its quite the opposition of runway modeling as runway modeling does not require beauty its about how the model can walk, sell the wears he/she is wearing on the runway and get paid doing so, while in a pageantry the model focuses on his/her beauty, selling his/herself to the audience/judges and pays to participate in hopes of winning the crown. If you are beautiful, handsome and have a nice body shape with intelligence you can go for pageantries.
PLUS SIZE MODELING
As the name implies, this type of modeling is for those whose body size is bigger than the normal required body size of a model, female models are expected to be slim with no hips while male models are to be physically built, but there are females who are not slim and have big hips, so a type of modeling has been created for them which is called PLUS SIZE MODELING, and there are various brands who use plus size models and also plus size models also have their own runway shows which “plus size” is added to the name of the fashion runway show.
BODY ART MODELING
This type of modeling involves the use of a model’s naked body as a canvas for artistic works, this type of models are used by artists, body painters.
This type of modeling involves a model’s complete naked body, models take naked shoots of themselves and also they are the most paid models because they involve their nudity. So if you have no problem exposing your nudity you can go into nude modeling, and know this nude models are very well paid, so don’t let anybody make you do nude shoots for a cheap amount.
This type of modeling can be done by any model as long as he/she is fit physically, how you can be a fitness model is by you exercising your body to be fit and then go and meet brands which needs bodies of those who are fit like gym companies, and even some agencies desire models especially males who are physically built.
That is all for the type of modeling we have, any other type falls under each of this categories and that you don’t need to be a certain height to venture into modeling or to become a model, there are various types of modeling into which anybody can venture into and also note that for every type of modeling, confidence is very important and skin care too, you need to have positive self esteem to be able to progress in any area of modeling and life itself, that is why I said modeling is a lifestyle. You just need to understand and know the perfect niche for yourself, where you fit in, the line of modeling situable for you.
OTHER FACTORS TO KNOW IN THE MODELING INDUSTRY
- Modeling agency- this are organisations that scout models, sign in models, supervise models, and get jobs for their models and share their profits between them and the models.
- Freelance model- this are models who are not under any agency but they get their jobs by themselves and share all their profits.
- Modeling academy- this are organisations that train aspiring models into becoming models
- Photoshoots- this are the pictures taken by models which serves as their means of selling and advertising themselves as models to various brands and the general public.
- Portfolio- this comprises of the information of the models including their name, height, weight, skin colour, skin type, their best pictures depicting different expressions and so on.
- Comp card- a card used by models which has their statistics and polariods.